home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 20 / Cream of the Crop 20 (Terry Blount) (1996).iso / bbs / ny_010w1.zip / SYSOP.DOC < prev    next >
Text File  |  1996-05-17  |  25KB  |  534 lines

1. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  2. New York 2008 Sysop Documentation
  3. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  5. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  6. WARNING! This game might contain material some people might find offensive,
  7. please review the game if you are not sure. You might edit the language file
  8. if you wish, "LINES.DAT" and "MENUS.DAT". (Never offended me! It's quite clean
  9. as for my personal opinion)
  11. "LINESC.DAT" and "MENUSC.DAT" are the clean version files.
  12. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  14. ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   --- 
  15. If you only want to try the game, type ny2008 -l at the command line!
  16. ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
  18. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  19. Welcome to New York 2008 version 0.10
  20. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  22. Read WHATSNEW.DOC for new stuff in this version!
  24. ALSO READ THE READ.ME FILE FOR IMPORTANT INFO!!!!
  26. [----------------------------------------------------------------------------]
  27. [ NOTE: I included file called NY2008.ANS (and a smaller .ASC) to include in ]
  28. [ your logon proccess if you wish.                                           ]
  29. [----------------------------------------------------------------------------]
  31. ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  32.  Inter-BBS now available, READ INTERBBS.DOC on how to set up an InterBBS game
  33. ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  35. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  36. WHAT IS IT?:
  37. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  39. NY2008 is a fully multi-node aware RPG door game, which includes on-line
  40. fights and, on-line messages. Also the game includes all essential parts of
  41. an RPG game, being similiar to some other popular doors, like LORD or USURPER.
  42. The purpose of the player is to blow up New York and get rid of it's evil ways
  43. for this the players need an Atomic Bomb. Try the game out with the -L option.
  44. This game can run in ASCII, ANSI, AVATAR or RIP. It also allows InterBBS
  45. gameplay, read INTERBBS.DOC to read how to set up an InterBBS game.
  47. There is a clean mode in now with the -CL option. (I don't recomend it!)
  49. No reset is neccessary, the game assumes it's a new game if the user files 
  50. are missing.
  52. If you want to change some of the language, edit files LINES.DAT and MENUS.DAT!
  53. (or LINESC.DAT and MENUSC.DAT for clean mode)
  54. RIP stuff is in MENUS.RIP, MENUSC.RIP, LINES.RIP and LINESC.RIP.
  56. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  57. UPGRADING:
  58. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  60. form ALL versions:
  61. ==================
  62. Just unzip the archive into yer directory. Check for new stuff in the
  63. SAMPLE.CFG file so that you can edit your .CFG file. It is not necessary to
  64. use the SAMPLE.CFG file, but It might have new stuff in it. Also check out
  65. SAMPLEIB.CFG fo the InterBBS setup file. If you wish to have interbbs
  66. you will have to copy SAMPLEIB.CFG to INTERBBS.CFG and edit it with your info
  67. READ INTERBBS.DOC for more info on InterBBS.
  69. There is no conversion neccessary from v0.10 since i used reserved fields.
  70. so just unzip the archive into the game dir ...
  72. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  73. INSTALATION:
  74. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  76. Well to get you up and running fast, let's get to the instalation. Copy all
  77. files into a directory (e.g. C:\NY2008) and edit the SAMPLE.CFG file to your
  78. systems specifications and then save it as NY2008.CFG. It has been known to
  79. cause problems, if you edit the comm parameters in the .cfg file, I recomend
  80. leaving them commented out if your bbs software can pass those to the program.
  81. They are there for the purpose if some bbs didn't pass these.
  83. The game will read NY2008.CFG unless otherwise specified, so make sure that
  84. NY2008.CFG file exists. If it does not exist, it will use default settings,
  85. but I'm sure you wanna change some of them.
  87. If your bbs software cannot pass the comport information through the door
  88. file, then edit the comport options in the .CFG file. If you run a multiple
  89. nodes on such a system create more .CFG files (e.g. NY1.CFG, NY2.CFG) edit
  90. these ... (You have to put all the settins in both af them!) and start the
  91. NY2008.exe with the -C option (e.g. NY2008.EXE -Cny1.cfg)
  93. If you have a bbs software that passes the comport information leave the
  94. comport settings in the .CFG file commented out. Even on a multinode system.
  95. !!Unless you use non-standard IRQ's, read in the problems section!)
  97. The game does not need to be reset ... if all system files are missing it
  98. tells the program to start over. If you ever need a reset run:
  100.   NY2008 RESET
  102. which will erase all user information. If you are running interbbs game
  103. you can use this command to, reset the game and stay in the interbbs game or
  104. kill all interbbs info but not reset the game.
  106. If you specified different door directories in .cfg file than the one that
  107. the bbs is run on, just run:
  109.   NY2008 -C<config file to use> RESET
  111. NOTE: the file of winners will not be deleted on reset to keep records
  112. NOTE2: reset only works locally!
  114. The game does not need to be reset at all for that matter, every time
  115. somebody wins he is just ereased so others can continue to play and this
  116. person may start over. So the game is more or less continuous.
  118. Take a look at the EXAMPLE.BAT to see an example batch file to run the game.
  120. The game now does not read in the bps rate if you are using fossil. Use the
  121. -RDBPS option to force reading in the bps rate (only if you have trouble!)
  123. If you run Wildcat then if the game don't work, try editting .CFG files for 
  124. each node (they'll be same escept for BBSName and Node fields) and then call
  125. the game like:
  127. NY2008 -CNY3.CFG
  129. That is assuming you made a .cfg file named ny3.cfg, try using the command
  130. line parameters as explained in example.bat first. This is the more 
  131. difficult solution and you should use it only if your system gets confused
  132. by long command lines.
  134. If you run with multinode stuff enabled:
  135. I recomend running "NY2008 -CR" everynight when nobody is online as this
  136. should solve flag problems if there are any ... (If program terminated and
  137. did not erase them)
  139. If You want to set up and InterBBS game read INTERBBS.DOC
  141. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  142. Personalities
  143. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  145. NY2008 can behave like (status line and sysop keys):
  147.  NY2008 (behaves as the Standard, but the status line has player stats)
  148.  Standard Opendoors Door (Similiar to to RA 1.11)
  149.  Wildcat
  150.  Remote Access (Looks like 2.0x)
  151.  PCBoard
  153. You can switch to the NY2008 personality anytime by pressing Alt-[F1] in the
  154. game. From this personality you can go to any other personality. Or you can
  155. set the default personality in the .CFG file.
  157. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  158. Clean Mode
  159. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  161. USE OF CLEAN MODE TAKES AWAY SOME CHOICES FROM THE PLAYER, WHICH ARE VERY
  162. MUCH PART OF THE GAEM, LIKE RAPES, PLAYER AND FROM THE SEX MENU. I DON'T
  163. RECOMEND USING THE CELAN MODE, BUT IF YOU JUST REALLY DON'T LIKE THAT STUFF
  164. THERE YA GO.
  166. I don't think it's neccessary as the game is quite clean, and adding this
  167. will prolly not making it as fun and also taking away some choices for the
  168. player.
  170. At requests I added clean mode. I cleand up the lines.dat and menus.dat files
  171. and saved them as linesc.dat and menusc.dat. Use the -CL option to enable
  172. clean mode. Rape and getting hookers